How to find a conservator in your area

by Sally J.

in * How to PRESERVE Family History Treasures, Free Articles / Blog

Here is THE directory of experts in the conservation of photographs, paintings, manuscripts, books, textiles, artifacts, and electronic media of all kinds — including albums, tapes, video and film.

Searchable by location and/or specialty.



Jasia April 18, 2007 at 9:38 am

I didn’t have much luck finding anyone in my area using the form so I’m just going to ask you my two questions Sally and hope you can help me out.
1. I have a large old photograph (abt 16×20) that was in a wood frame with a glass front. Many years ago the frame cracked and broke off (one side and the bottom) and the glass cracked diagonally and the bottom part fell off. Unfortunately, the remainder of the photo is stuck to the remaining glass and I don’t know how to get it off so I can have it re-framed. Any suggestions? (the damage happened as a result of a house fire).
2. I recently bought a big, big old book (1924 city directory) that is about 6″ thick, traditionally hard bound. The side has separated from the front cover right along the crease and I’d like to know if there is some sort of tape I can use to hold it together without doing any additional damage to the book. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I’m a regular subscriber to your feed and I very much enjoy your blog. Thanks so much for sharing what you know!

Previous post:

Next post: